J.V. Guy-Bray M.A., M.Sc., Ph.D., P.Eng., A.T.A. Translator, Proofreader, & Editor
1727 Bath Street # C
Santa Barbara , CA 93101
French>English (native); experience in U.K., Canadian, & U.S. English
Scientific, technical, business, and general
Software & hardware - Internet connection
MS Office for Mac 2011 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint...) Fluency-Now - MacBookPro Retina 15 in. mid 2014 with OS High Sierra, printer/copier/scanner, iPad & iPhone
- Retired economic/mining geologist with decades of French-language working history, including translation of documents, in 17 francophone countries and territories, and at United Nations Headquarters.
- Broad international experience at the United Nations, and in the mining industry, government, and research.
- Knowledge of related fields includes business, finance, environmental science, physics, chemistry, mathematics, law, economics, and engineering.
- Independent translator & proofreader for various U.S. and international organizations since 2000.
ATA, NCTA, SME, OSPE
Ph.D. (Economic Geology) McGill University, Canada
M.Sc. (Economic Geology) McGill University, Canada
M.A. (Natural Science) Cambridge University, UK
B.A. (Natural Science) Cambridge University, UK
Professional Engineer (Ontario, Canada)
Recent translation topics
* advertising * botany * company acquisition * company
newsletters * company reports & financial statements *
* contracts * corporate universities * environmental science & regulations * geology & geophysics (monograph, see below)
* Holocaust memoirs * industrial safety & quality assurance * journalism * legal documents * marketing
* medical & pharmaceutical research * metallurgy * mineral exploration & mining * movies * nursing & child care * patent applications
* personal résumés & correspondence * petroleum processing economics (textbook, see below) * physics * political science
* power plant specifications * press releases * publicity * sports * tax legislation * tender documents * urban development planning
I am the English translator of the Institut Français du Pétrole's publication: Manuel d'évaluation économique des Procédés (Manual of Process Economic Evaluation) by A. Chauvel (Technip, 2003), and Mireille Gayet's Les fossiles du Liban - Mémoire du temps (The Fossils of Lebanon - Memory of Time) (Adverbum, 2012).
EN>EN editor of several published articles by French scientists.
- Freelance Translator & Mining Consultant 1994
- United Nations: Technical Advisor (Africa, Middle East, Asia) New York 1979-1994
- Mining industry: INCO; De Beers/Anglo American; other international companies 1953-1957, 1961-1979
- Govt. of Quebec, Ministère des Richesses Naturelles 1958-61
- Extensive working experience in francophone countries in Africa & elsewhere
Cycling, swimming, the arts